Sarah White, Principal
October 30, 2018
24-Hour Attendance Line: 425.408.4410.
Save the Dates!
Calendar Link: https://eastridge.nsd.org/our-school-clone/calendar
Parent Teacher Conferences - Early Dismissal
Parent-Teacher Conferences will be held November 15 - 22nd. Dismissal is 12:20 pm. First quarter progress reports will go home Wednesday, November 14th via kid mail.
A Note from Mrs. White
Our school staff has been working collaboratively to write our School Strategic Action plan for 2018-19. As I shared at curriculum night, we are continuing to work on the same goals we selected last year:
Responsible, Resilient, Empathetic Learners
To increase the percentage of students who feel safe, have a sense of belonging and personally meaningful friendships, and believe that their school is vibrant and inclusive, with rules that are fair and equitable. (This is aligned to Goal 2 of the NSD Strategic Plan)
As a staff, we have already accomplished a lot to support our first goal:
- Thanks to your generosity at the BE Community Auction last year, our entire staff attended a very powerful day of professional development with Dr. Clayton Cook. Our focus was on strategies for building positive relationships with students and using proactive classroom management strategies. Thank you for allowing us this amazing opportunity!
- We explicitly taught our school-wide expectations at the beginning of the year, and continue to revisit them throughout the year.
- We used data from our fall students survey and teacher reflections to set goals to establish, maintain, and restore positive relationships with students.
- We have implemented a school-wide recognition system for positive behavior. One part of this system is Sunshine Slips, which we use to recognize students who are being kind, respectful, responsible, and/or safe. We hope you celebrate at home when your child receives a slip!
- In September and October, we focused on the trait of Mindfulness. In November and December, we will be focused on Empathy.
Growth for Every Student, Elimination of Outcome and Opportunity Gaps
To ensure that our students achieve a minimum annual academic growth rate of one year for students at/above grade level, and more than one year for students below grade level. (This is aligned to Goal 3 of the NSD Strategic Plan)
Our teachers have spent considerable time analyzing student writing this fall and setting goals for their instruction. As they analyzed all students’ narrative writing for this fall, they noticed a big difference in the level of writing compared to a year ago! Specifically, they have noticed students are writing effective leads, using clearer organization/structure, and elaborating more using dialogue and detail. Teachers have also noticed a higher level of stamina and motivation for writing. We can’t wait to see the growth our writers will make this year, too! During our professional time together on Wednesdays, we have been studying how to give effective formative feedback to students when we meet with them one-on-one in writing conferences. Our teachers are always learning and growing so they can do the best for your child! You can look forward to hearing about your own child’s writing progress and goals at your parent-teacher conference in November.
I am proud to work with a staff who cares so much about nurturing academic as well as social/emotional growth. We look forward to partnering with you for the growth of your child this year!
Sarah White, Principal
To help parents get the most out of school, you want day-to-day insight into the academic experience. With the Synergy StudentVUE web portal, students can access near real-time information on attendance, class schedules, report cards, course history, graduation status and more.
ParentVUE allows parents to access their:
- Class Schedules
- Course History
- Graduation Status
- Mid-term/Quarter and Final/Semester Grades
- School Information
- Demographic Information
A single username and password allows parents to access information for all of their children, regardless of the grade level or school of attendance. Each parent has an individual account that covers all children.
For more information, please go to: https://www1.nsd.org/resources/online-tools/parentvue
Fall parties will be taking place on October 31st. The following is a brief reminder about costumes and school:
- Students are not permitted to wear their costumes on the bus.
- Students are to keep makeup to a minimum.
- Refrain from choosing costumes featuring graphic violence and bloody depiction of characters.
- It’s extremely important that costumes don’t portray or perpetuate stereotypes or denigrate cultures or genders. (Cultures are not costumes. Halloween costumes are only fun or funny when they don’t hurt or make fun of other people in any way or perpetuate stereotypes.)
- Wearing a mask on the bus is not allowed and must be kept in a bag or backpack.
- No sharp or bulky objects on the bus.
- No toy weapon or replicas are to be included as a part of a child’s costume. (District Policy)
- Wear school clothes that can go under their costume so that changing can occur in the classroom rather than the restroom (leggings, shorts, sweatpants, etc. help with "privacy" during changing)
- Have fun! Be safe!
Picture Retakes- November 1st
Picture retake day is quickly approaching. If we did not see you on picture day or you would like a new image, do not miss out on ordering pictures for your student.
Pre-orders for picture packages may be placed online now at https://ios.mydorian.com using your school's access key provided here UGJR5C7N. Online pre-orders using your school's access key are available up to 4 days after retake day.
Please be sure to bring in your original picture packet on picture re-take day. Additional order forms are available in the office.
Please note the menu for lunch on 10/31 has changed. A is 100% white meat chicken bites with brown rice, B is pumpkin pretzel with cheese sauce and sunflower seeds and C is a deli stack pack.
Game Room Open
The Game Room opened 10/25 as a recess alternative in Room 10.
Sign up to support our students during recess time in our amazing Game Room. Located in the Art Room, Game Room runs on Thursdays from 11-1:15 and includes all three recesses. This is a supportive role for volunteers, Game Masters (3rd - 5th graders) have been trained in peer leadership and conflict resolution and need your positive encouragement and, at times, hands on help.
Please review the following safety reminders with your child:
- Do not walk alone and walk in groups of two or more.
- Never get into a vehicle with a stranger—fight, shout, scream, kick, bite, run and tell.
- Never take anything a stranger offers you—do not accept candy, food or money from a stranger.
- Do not walk alone in the dark.
- Stay away from lonely places—do not go alone into deserted buildings, empty parking lots or places where there are few people around.
- Remain on school grounds during school hours.
- Immediately tell responsible adults about any suspicious activities or people encountered to or from school and give as many details as possible.
We are looking for some interested Math Team coaches for 4th and 5th Grade. Math Team has long been a tradition at East Ridge and we have been lucky to have such wonderful parent support for this program in the past! This year we are in need of parent leaders.
If we don’t have any coaches, we cannot have Math Team. This is our last chance!
If you would be interested, please email me at email@example.com. I will help to coordinate Math Team this year and can assist when needed.
Thanks so much- Ms. Fawcett, 4/5th Teacher
Jump Rope Extravaganza
Thank you for the outpouring of interest. Due to the space requirements of the gym, no more entries will be accepted.
Daylight savings time ends on Sunday, November 4th. Don’t forget to turn your clocks back one hour!
Remember to VOTE in the November 6th General Election! Your vote matters!
East Ridge Veterans Day Celebration
On Wednesday, November 7th, we will have an assembly to honor our Veterans. This assembly will feature students from Ms. Fawcett, Mrs. Reed and Mrs. Rizo’s classes performing, as well as a Scout Color Guard. We cordially invite all family members or friends who are veterans to join us. Please RSVP by Friday, November 2nd, so we know how many veterans will be attending. We also invite the Veterans and their families to join us for refreshments in the library before the assembly begins.
Wednesday, November 7, 2018
Reception – 12:45pm - Library
Assembly – 1:25pm – Gym
Note: To honor veterans in our community we will be building a “Wall of Honor” in the gym. If you would like to honor a veteran in your family please fill out and cut off this form and return it to the office by Friday, November 2nd. Additional forms are available in the office.
We need a few adult volunteers. Please stop in the office and let us know if you can help out!
Health Screening - Thank you!
Thank you to the wonderful volunteers who helped make our Health-Screening Day run smoothly. Hats off to Lexi Duffy, Kathy Murphy, Mitch Zimberg, Stephanie Hennessy, Diane Brandt, Cara Larson, and Cari Johnson. My apologies if I have forgotten anyone.
You made the day go smoothly! ~Nurse Gerry
On Thursday, October 18, the students and staff participated in the Great Washington ShakeOut by having a full-blown earthquake drill. Buildings were evacuated, staff practiced their emergency jobs, and children were relocated to their designated areas. The children did a great job listening to instructions, keeping quiet and remembering what steps to take. Ask your student what to do in case of a real earthquake.
Are you ready for winter weather? For weather preparedness tips and resources for Western WA go to: takewinterbystorm.org.
District Information: Closures and Delays, Snow and Ice Bulletin
Northshore School District Information Line (425) 408-6001 - recorded message line
Northshore School District webpage
NSD Mobile APP
Local Radio and television - listen for Northshore School District #417
FlashAlert.net - self subscription to the Puget Sound Emergency Message System
East Ridge PTA News
Reflections - Due November 2nd
2018 - 2019 Reflections competition is underway!!! This year’s theme is Heroes Around Us.
East Ridge Elementary PTA is once again hosting the Reflections art competition. Young artists can submit one piece of art in any of the following categories: Visual Arts, Photography, Literature, Music Composition, Dance Choreography, and Film Production.
All entries are due November 2nd in the front office. Any questions please contact Kristen Bero at firstname.lastname@example.org
The next Earth Club Work Party will be on Wednesday, November 14th, from 2:15 - 4:00 pm.
Children, parents, and National Honor Society students are encouraged to join in the fun!
Get your pictures in the yearbook! The Yearbook Staff invites students and parents to submit photos for the yearbook. If you’ve got great photos of school and community events of you and your friends just having fun, we’d like to see them. Our photographers can’t be everywhere, so help us get as many photos as possible to create a terrific book everyone will want to have!
Here is how you can submit photos online:
Go to: https://images.schoolannualonline.com/upload.jsp
If it does not automatically log you into the site, enter username: 410903677.
Submit your photos today! The last day to submit photos is April 5, 2019.
Thank you and enjoy the rest of the school year!
~Yearbook Adviser and the 2019 Yearbook Staff