Sarah White, Principal
May 19, 2020
24-Hour Attendance Line: 425.408.4410
East Ridge Distance Learning Page:
School Days...Please note!
Yes School - Friday, May 22nd
No School - Monday, May 25th, Labor Day.
Yes School - Tuesday, May 26th
It has been fun to see pictures contributed to our What’s East Ridge Been Up To page! Students have been engaged in building, cooking, designing, playing games, and helping! I bet your child has a lot more time to play these days, and that is a really great thing! Several of our East Ridge staff have been doing a book study of the book, Mathematical Mindsets, by Jo Boaler. In this book, the author talks about the importance of play for brain growth and for developing a mathematical mindset and conceptual understanding. Some of you might feel guilty about the amount of play your kids are doing, and you may feel that they are not doing enough learning. Don’t feel guilty! The distance learning provided by your child’s teacher is important and valuable, and I also want to reassure you that your child’s play is also learning! Board games, building toys, puzzles, home projects, cooking, creating music and art, and doing crafts all can help develop language, vocabulary, social skills, and mathematics skills! Also, while the pandemic and closures are causing disruption to our lives, it is encouraging to be reminded of how resilient children can be. This article shares that this whole experience can be an opportunity for growth for our children’s resilience. Wishing you and your family the best during these times!
Sarah White, Principal
Thank you, PTA!
A big THANK YOU to the PTA for making us feel special during Staff Appreciation Week! Our flowers really brightened our day and the Starbucks and Pizza Coop gift cards were so generous! It was a special week and all the love really warmed our hearts. We feel so appreciated! Thank you Julie Even and your many helpers, you always find a new way to amaze us!
***ParentVue Reminder - You must have this in August!***
Please be sure you are able to access ParentVue. This is the only method we will be using to release class assignments in August (we will not be mailing letters with placement information this year). You can also check your child’s attendance status in Parent Vue. Don’t wait! Contact Rae Shepherd (email@example.com) if you are having any trouble signing in.
Are you moving?
Parents, if your family is planning to move out of the East Ridge service area over the summer vacation, PLEASE let the office know as soon as possible. This will help us to have a more accurate enrollment count as well as make our preliminary placement and balancing of class/student groupings as accurate as possible. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
School Nurse Health Tips
Hello East Ridge students,
Below are health tips from the School Nurse for keeping strong and healthy:
- Just a reminder to try to include a variety of fruit and vegetables into your diet every day.
- A variety provides many elements that are important for keeping our bodies healthy.
- It is important to drink plenty of water, especially during the warmer weather.
- Try to avoid foods with excessive salt, sugar and fat.
- Protein rich food sources are important for energy and alertness.
- Fiber is an important part of healthy diets so choose whole grains and vegetables for they are rich in fiber.
- Abstain from drinking energy drinks for they often include caffeine which interrupts the ability to learn and obtaining adequate sleep, https://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/nutrition/energy.htm.
- See the CDC website for information on how to clean and prepare foods safely, https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/cdc-and-food-safety.html.
Stay healthy and take good care of you!